Intensive School Readiness program
The School Readiness Program provides children with skills and knowledge through school-based experiences so they can enter school with confidence.
The program also provides children who are already in a school environment with an opportunity to refresh their skills after a long Christmas Holiday Break program encourages language development, cognitive, social and emotional development as well as improved physical health by having a focus on the following key learning areas:
- Morning Routines
- Transitions as well as sitting on the mat and desks
- Managing distractions and conflict
- Care for self
- Ask and responding to questions
- Social Skills
- Making friends
- Break time behaviours
At completion of the program, children will:
- Successfully navigate morning routines and rituals of a class by demonstrating those skills with minimal prompting.
- Learn to transition between tasks, classroom spaces and rooms independently.
- Independently show appropriate behaviours during break times.
- Choose appropriate behaviour while sitting on the mat and at a desk.
- Manage distractions and disruptions with little to no prompting.
- Be able to ask and respond to questions asked individually and in group situations.
- Engage in social skill activities in a pair and group situations.
- Appropriately, with support, manage conflict situations.
The children will demonstrate understanding by:
- Following instructions after one telling.
- Sitting appropriately on the mat or at their desk.
- Asking and responding to questions independently.
- Ignoring disruptive behaviour.
- Seeking out other children to become friends with.