High School Transition Program
Transitioning from Primary to High School is a big deal for all young people, and especially for children who have additional needs, as well as the parents and carers who love them. To support children and families during these big changes, and make the move to high school more successful, Inclusive Directions have developed the High School Transition Program.
Designed especially for children who have Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and/or Intellectual Disability (ID) who are starting high school in 2019, the High School Transition Program has been developed by a specialist team including Psychologists, Behavioural Therapists, Parents and Teens at Inclusive Directions. The High School Transition Program is covered under NDIS or parents/carers can choose to pay should they wish. Inclusive Directions is a registered NDIS provider.
As every child is unique, each child’s program is individually tailored to ensure any specific challenges or requirements are addressed and each child’s goals are at the centre of our work together.
The High School Transition Program helps children with:
- Making new friends, understanding rules in conversation, dealing with conflicts and other social skills.
- Building self-esteem, flexible thinking and coping with change.
- Responding to bullying and harassment, self-advocacy and saying no to peer pressure.
- How to ask for help, getting around their new school with many classrooms and getting books and diaries and all sorts organised.
- Catching public transport to and from school, getting involved in school clubs, teams and musical groups and other practical learning skills.
Core competencies covered:
- Understanding me: Self-esteem, Strengths and Challenges and Flexible Thinking.
- Student Profile: Learning Needs and Goal Setting.
- Social Skills 1: Making New Friends, Rules of Conversation and Peer Relationships.
- Social Skills 2: How to Manage Conflict, Team Work and Unexpected Changes.
- Self-Advocacy: Speaking Up, Finding and Asking for Help, Bullying.
- My New School: School Resources, Websites and Codes of Conduct.
- Wellbeing And Relaxation: How we Relax, Meditation and Your Emotional Toolbox.
- Being Organised: Diaries, Timetables and Getting Homework Done.
Sessions in the program include:
10 x 2 hour sessions during Term 4. Sessions will run from 4pm to 6pm every Thursday during Term 4 at our Melrose Park office. These sessions will aim to increase knowledge and understanding of the Core Topics detailed below.
Our team will work with you and your child, to make sure they have fun, make friends and are well on their way to start high school with the confidence and skills they need for a great start.
The High School Transition Program is covered under NDIS (Capacity Building – Improved Daily Living) or parents/carers can choose to pay should they wish. Inclusive Directions is a registered NDIS provider. The full cost of the program is $4000 for all sessions.
In order to sign up to our High School Transition Program, we invite you to attend, along with your child, a Free Intake Meeting to confirm your booking.
To learn more fill out the form below and a member of our team will be in contact with you, alternatively, you can phone Inclusive Directions on 08 7325 8600 or email us at email@example.com