Bicultural support assists children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to access child care services and programs.
Bicultural Support is a fee for service program that can support children through:
- providing support for transitions of children into care,
- providing help with settling into a new environment and assisting children to understand staff expectations and child care routines,
- encouraging the use of principles of family centred practice and inclusion,
- facilitating an exchange of information about the children’s program and cross cultural child rearing practices,
- implementation of culturally appropriate practices for the child,
- assisting children to develop friendships and fostering their self-worth and identity, and
- fostering within them a greater understanding of the environment in which they live.
The program can also support staff through:
- assistance to communicate with culturally diverse families and children,
- understanding relevant cultural issues,
- linking staff with professional development, inclusion support and other relevant services,
- providing cultural advice,
- teaching simple key words and phrases, and
- translating simple key words and phrases for use in the program.
Inclusive Directions also offers a range of resources on our cultural resources page that are designed to communicate positive messages about inclusion, identity and difference.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.